Wednesday 11 April 2012

Composition 4100!

This will be my last blog entry on here!

I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this class (other than the fact that there will be a lot of composing).  At first when I found out that it was a seminar type class with a "show-and-tell" kind of format, I was both reluctant and nervous at the same time. I'm a pretty shy guy. I like to do things on my own, and I'm perfectly okay with that. But the format of this class meant I had to speak in class! And explain my work to everyone! The entire first week of classes I was stressed out about all of it.

That quickly changed.

It didn't turn out to be the nerve racking experience that I had previosly thought. In fact, I actually perfer this style of class. Everyone was really supportive of each other's work and gave amazing feedback. Also, seeing everyones work every week was really great, as it is good to see what your peers are working on.

Another great thing about this class is that I finally got an opportunity to write for a larger ensemble. Although my finished product was just an alright piece (which I am still proud of), I earned a great deal of knowledge on how to write for concert band in the process, and I will continue to write for concert band in the future.

I had a great semester with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment