Monday 9 April 2012

Stream of Conscienceness

Something that forgot to mention in my previous blog was exactly how I came up with my material for this piece (other than saying I did it “freely”). While it is in fact free composition, the process involved was an almost stream-of-conscienceness process, where I sit and I write until I've amounted a certain amount of material (whatever my goal was for that particular session). Also, I would write entirely using my ears and my computer notation program (Sibelius), with an instrument in my hands, or even nearby. I believe that this process has given me both bulk of material as well as material that is very precise and coherent in sound

As for this week, I basically doubled the amount of material I had from my first week and moved into a slower, more quiet section. Otherewise, this is still in the early stages!


There were just a few suggestions:
  • Use more of the dotted quarter-eight figure using in section “D”, either in a continuation of that section or in later material.
  • Work more on the transition towards “E” (the beginning of the second section) with, perhaps, some diminishing instrumentation to ease into the quieter section.
  • Perhaps the entire first section could be extended or elaborated so that it sticks more in your head.
  • Continue developing the “E” section.
  • Try and move away from the traditional harmonies that I've been using up to this point and move towards some extended tonal resources and more dissonance.


No comments:

Post a Comment